Fifty Men Are In Training for Boxing Tournaments to Be Held This Winter

Others Expected to Join Lamar's Classes of Instruction And Training

Fifty men have begun training for the two intra-school boxing tournaments which will be held later in the year. Henry Lamar, coach of boxing, announced yesterday.

Regretting the fact that "so many men consider boxing to be a matter of give and take even before actual training and instruction have begun." Lamar stated that he expects the number of boxers to grow as the season progresses.

Contact Work Postponed

"We want to teach the boys to box and have fun. There will be no real contact work for beginners until they have had about a month of instruction," Lamar said. After that, the boys will be eased into the real work gradually.

The House tournament will be staged in the latter part of January, while the University Tournament will be held in the Indoor Athletic Building's gymnasium during the last week in March. Last year's tourneys brought out a good deal of keen competition and rivalry.

Lamar teaches three classes a day. Beginners show up three times a week at either 3 or 4 o'clock, and the experienced boxers get their instruction at 5 o'clock.

Lamar's classes for beginners consist of about 15 minutes of calisthenics, about 15 minutes of shadow boxing and footwork practice, and about seven minutes of training in punching and blocking. At present the beginners are working on the left jab to the head.

The last intercollegiate boxing team, three years ago, won most of its meets. In the five or six years of varsity boxing competition, the College teams have never lost more than two out of seven meets.