ANTI-FASCISTS HIT EMBARGO ON SPAIN

Famous Author Along With Professor Emerson Lashes Against Expansion Of Dictator States

Urging an "embargo on the Fascist states themselves" Lewis Mumford struck the keynote of a meeting last night in Emerson Hall sponsored by the Student Union and the Cambridge Union of University Teachers. Rupert Emerson '21, associate professor of Government, and William Chambers '39 of the Student Union also addressed the meeting, which was called to protest the embargo on Spain.

"As long as Democracy is in danger, and as long as there is a ghost of a chance to get it out of danger, there is a job to do," declared Mumford before the gathering of three hundred. He went on to say that even if the Spanish government had capitulated last night Congress ought to raise the Embargo on Spain to "ease its conscience."

Professor Emerson bucked a chorus of hisses from conservatively-minded members of the audience when he said, "I do feel that the problem is still there; the Spanish people are still fighting," but, he added "it is probably too late to act.

"Even if there is a withdrawal of Italian troops, the Fascist powers would gain advantages," he continued, urging that even if there was nothing that could be done now to aid the Loyalists with was materials, America should at least do everything else possible to resist Fascism.

Chambers pleaded for action to influence Congress to lift the embargo on Spain contending that there was still time enough to aid the Loyalists in beating Franco. He reported that he had delivered the Harvard Petitions to lift the embargo to the White House.

One unidentified hisser in the audience, failing to get much support in his efforts, following the meeting telephoned Boston newspapers in the guise of John S. Stillman '40, H. S. U. President. He told them that an invasion of fascists had started a small riot, and that one of the disturbers had succeeded in blacking Mumford's eye. He didn't say which one.