Disney Lauds Feild, Expresses Regrets for "Harvard's Loss'

Feild Met Creator of Snow White At Commencement Here Last Year

Walt Disney, dean of animated cartoonists and an honorary member of the class of 1928 as of last June, yesterday joined the ranks of those who have expressed concern over the decision of the Fine Arts department not to renew the appointment of Robin Field '30, assistant professor of Fine Arts.

In a wire to the CRIMSON Disney said, "Robin Feild is held in high esteem by our staff of over 300 practical artists. I don't know of a better recommendation, and can only say Harvard's less will be someone's gain."

Feild spent much of last summer in Hollywood studying Disney's work, which he described last fall as "perhaps the only universal art form in history; it is what I like to call twentieth century folk art. Using science unselfconsciously, it embodies the total achievement of the human race to date and puts true movement and life into art."

The first of four lectures on Disney and the animated cartoon will be given by Feild on Thursday in the Fogg Museum.

The Fine Arts teacher and the creator of Snow White first met last June when the latter came to Harvard to receive an honorary degree. The citation read: "Walter Elias Disney, a magician who has created a modern dwelling for the muses; his hand controls a multitude of elfin animals who charm all humans by their mirth."