Ten Supporters Defend Intellectual Freedom at Lincoln Day Gathering

Presidents of Wellesley, B.U., And Tech Defend Freedom In Education

Stressing the need for preserving intellectual freedom in this country to offset the losses to free thought in the totalitarian states of Europe, ten speakers, headed by Ralph B. Perry, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy; Daniel L. Marsh, President of Boston University; and Mildred H. McAfee, President of Wellesley College, celebrated Lincoln Day last night in an open meeting at Sanders Theatre.

Introduced by Karl T. Compton, President of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the speakers gave their opinions on what the problem before this country is and the best solution for it.

Professor Perry advocated a strong stand against those nations who propose to "root out" freedom of thought. "We are confronted with powers in the world which deny our basic creed of liberty," he stated. "They have elected to be our enemies and they are our enemies. We have no common ground on which we can unite. Between them and us there is a state of war."

"In a democratic system, education is the indispensable means by which society shapes its ends," said Marsh. He pointed out three factors which are absolutely imperative; freedom of schools, freedom of education, and freedom of the pulpit. He emphasized especially the need for preserving liberty in our schools and churches in a time when democracy is definitely on the defensive.

Miss McAfee held that the totalitarian states differ from this country on two basic principles: one, that truth is stronger than error; the other, that we can legitimately and reasonably respect our fellow man.

Other Speakers

Other speakers included Thomas H. Eliot '28 regional administrator of the wage and hours act; Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology; Ernest J. Simmons, assistant professor of English, representing the Cambridge Union of University Teachers; Zechariah Chafee, of the Law School; William N. Chambers '39, representing the Student Union; and C. Fayette Taylor, professor at Tech.

Before the meeting a message was read from President Conant praising the principles on which the meeting was called and advocating a "kindly spirit of tolerance."