SPIRITS FROM A CUP

When the House Athletic Program was originally proposed, its avowed aim was to provide organized athletics for everyone. However, due to the influence of the Straus Trophy, there is a rapidly-growing tendency to alter the practical object of the program. Consistent, winning teams tend now to be the goal of House Athletic Secretaries, requiring that quantity athletics be replaced by quality athletics.

To balance this present emphasis on victorious teams, the idea of a new trophy which would be presented to the house with the largest percentage participation in the athletic program has been suggested. This type of trophy would greatly aid in the success of the House Athletic Program in that it would favor the house which had the most rather than the best men on the field. Thus it would be in keeping with the original conception of house athletics which, far from producing athletes of varsity calibre, was to give each undergraduate an opportunity to compete in organized athletics. At the same time the increased participation which would be the result of such a trophy competition would enable house coaches to build better teams and thus would enhance the competition for the Straus Trophy.

The general proposal has the approval of the athletic directors. Furthermore the practical difficulties, such as the avoidance of "padded" participation figures, involved in the requirements for such a trophy can be easily eliminated by strict regulation of what constitutes participation.

The most fundamental drawback to the plan is the fact that there is, at present; no trophy. If "athletics for all" is to be furthered, some kind alumnus must donate a trophy whose slight cost would be infinitesimal compared to the good it would do in spurring each Harvard undergraduate on to develop a "mens sana in corpore sano."