Freshman Yogi Quits His Roommate to Maintain Serenity of Mind, Body Health

Finds Greater Relaxation in Oriental Philosophy and Physical Control

William B. Conger of Youngstown, Ohio, sole representative of the Hatha Yoga in the University was quite unperturbed when asked for a separation by his roommate, Allen C. Percival '42.

The divorce was granted by the dean on grounds of incompatibility. Percival's state of mind was agitated by Conger's feats of self-mutilation. "He was a good gent but he insisted on wearing practically no clothing and burning himself with cigarettes. He also wanted the windows open all the time regardless of weather," explained Percival.

The two boys parted good friends. Conger moved into a single room and is now able to practice Yoga in solitude.

Yoga Better Than U. T.

Conger, when interviewed yesterday, said, "Fifteen minutes practice of Yoga in a calm state of mind is a more satisfying form of relaxation than a double feature at the U. T. Supreme concentration can be reached only by cleansing the intestines and working up. To purify the mind one must shoo out any angry or bad thoughts like birds from a limb."

The young Yogi has already reached some degree of pratay ahara, control of the body's nerves. He can be seen around the Yard in the coldest weather without overcoat or sweater. His health is perfect and his mind is without a ripple.

Practices Kundalini

"Not everyone demonstrating psychic ability is a genuine Master, for the true Yogi displays his power only to his inner circle of students. However, the physical aspect of Yoga (rhymes with rogue) can be displayed to anyone," said Conger, tying himself into a square knot.

"I am looking forward to a visit of Buddha Bose and Bishnu Charan who are touring many universities displaying their physical power."

The Hatha Yoga, which is Conger's present denomination, practices Kundalini with some remarkable results. Kundalini, for the uninformed, is a mysterious practise of conserving the sex force which is drawn up through the spinal column to the brain where it is used during "illumination."