CORNELL FAVORITE TO WIN TRACK MEET

Crimson Expected to Beat Dartmouth And Yale in Quadrangular Events in Garden Tonight

It was Harvard in 1936, Dartmouth in 1937, Yale by a mile last year; and to round things out it is a brilliant Cornell aggregation that is favored to cop the fourth annual Quadrangular track meet in the Boston Garden tonight.

But track depesters are not infallible, especially in the winter season, and Jaakko Mikkola's promising but comparatively untried charges in this, the high point of the indoor schedule, are primed to give the lads from Ithaca a run for their money. For in what promises to be the closest meet of the series, Dartmouth is a dark horse of a not very dangerous hue, and Yale is not the team it was last year.

It is on two superb relay quartets and a top-notch weight combination that the Crimson's hopes are pinned. George Downing, who won this event last year, seems sure to win the shot, and Nat Heard should have an excellent chance to break into the point column. In the hammer Ithacan McKeever is favored to out-twirl Bill Shallow, but not by much.

Crimson Banks on Relays

Although the Donnelly-Lerner-King-Lightbody baton brigade will have a hard time in beating Cornell's crack mile relay team, particularly since the Crimson anchorman is also entered in the 600, Jaakko's capable 880 artists, Joe Olive, Jack McClure, Chick Old-father, and Al Hanlon, should coast through the tape in the two mile event.

The 600 promises to occupy the meet spotlight, with Jim Lightbody defending his meet record against a brilliant field. Last year he blazed across the line in 1:13.8, leading Dartmouth's Jud Foster and Cornell's Johnny Nevius by little more than a broad grin. Foster and Nevius are back this year, and in addition there is a speedy newcomer from New Haven, Frank Curtis, who is doubling in the 300, and who has broken 49 in the 440.

Cornell Hot in Dash, 300

Cornell would seem to have the 50 yard dash and the 300 sewed up in the pocket of Jim Pender, but he will be pushed by Yalemen Bob Owen and Frank Curtis. Crimson bets, but not good ones tonight, are Bob Gammons and Joe Donnelly.

Jay Shields will be out to crack his meet record of 5.7 in the 45 yard high hurdles, and Sophomore Don Donahue will do well to finish third. Harvard's chances to place in the 1000, a new event this year, are slim. Joe Bradley is Harvard's only entry.

Dartmouth's sophomore jumping-jack, Don Blount, who has cleared 6 feet 4 and one-half inches, and covered 24 feet in the overland hop is odds-on favorite in the jumps, but Harvard is not out of the running if Bob Partlow and Captain Bob Haydock find themselves after a rather disappointing winter season.

Steve Madey and Andy Rosenberger in the pole vault will be up against Yale's Ted Lussen, a tough nut to crack in any man's track meet.

Gene Clark and Ros Brayton in the mile seem outclassed by Eli Bill Holderness and Dartmouth's iron-man Hal Wonson who is also running in the 1000, but in the two-mile grind Dave Simboli will undoubtedly finish up among the leaders, although an up-and-coming New Haven lad named Ronald Clark is conceded a definite edge, and Cornellian Ranney looks good