Hal Ulen, Gloomy, Faces Columbia Natators in New York Tonight Minus His Four Mainstays

By Charles N. Pollak ii

Hal Ulen started on his journey to New York this morning in anything but a cheerful mood, Art Bosworth, Jack Waldron, Lonnie Stowell, and Bob White are all staying in Cambridge with colds while the rest of the Crimson tankmen take on Columbia tonight.

The reason for the Ulenian gloom is quite obvious. With Bossie out, so vanishes a certain backstroke first; without Waldron, the medley and 200 breastroke are considerably weakened, while Stowell and White were sure point winners in their respective events. However, Craig Moore has been swimming almost as well as the No. 1 Columbia backstroker, Tom Finnerty, and 1:45 might win the event for Craig.

Max Kraus and Phil Walker ought to be able to find a second place between them to the Lion captain, Justin Callahan, in the butterfly 200. Callahan, beaten only by Princeton's Hough this year, is a certain winner. He is also a fair free-styler but will probably be so busy with the medley and 200 that anchoring the free relay will be his only sprint effort.

Curwen Over Vergeichik

Another Columbia threat is portly John Vergeichik in the sprints. He was good for under 54 seconds last year in the 100, but has failed to crack 55 this season. His 50-yard efforts also have not been startling this winter. Jim Curwen is sure to take both sprints handily, Eric Cutler and Frannie Powers will prevail over any Lion men in the distances, and Rusty Greenhood should have no trouble with Jack Keating of the Blue. In fact, Keating may take third behind Crimson's Chet Sagenkahn if the latter continues his consistent work on the springboard. The Columbia relay team, capable of 3:45, may prevail over a Harvard quartet minus Stowell and Bosworth.

On the whole Coach Ulen's gloom ought to have a Crimson lining by the time the evening's over.