Symposium Talks On Marx Doctrine

Inter-Tutorial Conference Hears Seven Impersonate Historic Views

Marx's position in the development of political thought during the last century was the subject of the inter-House symposium held in Lowell House last night. Including the fields of History, Government, and Philosophy, seven speakers impersonated typical characters of different periods, varying from a delegate to the International Workingmen's Association to Friedrich Engels.

This was the second of a series of symposia which aim to cross departmental lines by attacking broad subjects from a variety of points of view, The seven who spoke had studied their characters in order to present accurately their opinions, and on the basis of these speeches a discussion ensued in the audience made up largely of tutees in the different fields represented.

Most controversial of last night's speeches was that of Eric Johnson '40 who represented Nicolai Lenin. Centering on whether Lenin would have supported a democratic alliance against the fascist states, the discussion ranged to debate over the nature of the perfect communistic state and its static quality.

Other speakers varied from Paul J. Halderman '40 as Hegel to Rufus W. Mathewson '41 as Engels.