British, U.S. Control of War Supplies To Check Fascists Is Urged by Elliott

Senators Promise Support for Government Professor's Embargo Plans

Broad plans to check the aggression of the Japanese and the Rome-Berlin axis by cornering the world supply of certain strategic metals are being suggested to United States Senators and State Department officials by William Y. Elliott, professor of Government.

Senator Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. '24 of Massachusetts and Senator Charles L. McNary have announced the intention of introducing a bill along the lines of some of Professor Elliott's proposals.

Professor Elliott has conferred with members of the State Department concerning his proposals. "They seemed sympathetic, but they are sitting on the fence at present," he said yesterday.

Main purposes of the plan are to check fascist lawlessness by cutting off war materials; to build up a reserve of these materials in the United States without further drain on the national budget; and to get some return on our war debts.

One of Harvard's authorities on Government, Professor Elliott wants the United States to force the Allies to pay their debts. He would induce them to cooperate in a United States corner or a limited embargo against the fascists of certain war materials, such as tin, scrap iron, and steel.

Force British Cooperation

"We have a potent lever here to force the British to cooperate--just the sort of one which would send Chamberlain running over here with his umbrella," Professor Elliott remarked.

The plan provides that the British would pay their debt in tin from South Africa, chromium from Rhodesia, tungsten and antimony from China and British Burma, and other materials. They would be kept in a government stock pile on reserve for emergency use.

British permission to build American naval and air bases at Trinidad. Bermuda, and Newfoundland are also called for in the proposals. The French would be asked for permission to use island bases in the Pacific and the Atlantic, which would be of great strategic value to the United States in war time.