SOPHS, JUNIORS SWELL GRIDIRON SQUAD TO 65

GARDELLA, LOWRY, COLEMAN AND HALLETT AT DRILL

About 25 Sophomores and Juniors reported to Coach Dick Harlow and his aids in Briggs Cage yesterday afternoon to swell the total number of participants in this spring's football drills to 65. For Captain Torby Macdonald, the first squad practice simply meant a switch over from his last week's coaching duties to his regular spot as Crimson No. 1 tail back.

Among the upperclassmen who joined the Yearlings yesterday were four players besides Torby who saw action in the 7 to 0 victory over Yale last November. Joe Gardella, backfield handyman, tackle Mose Hallett, guard Don Lowry, and newly converted center Bill Coleman formed the veteran quartet donning moleskins for the first time this spring.

Four Teams

Most of the preliminary details were soon dispensed with, and towards the end of the afternoon session, Messrs. Harlow, Wood, Fesler, Clark, Struck, and their Senior assistants had divided the squad into four teams to run through plays. The first two teams were composed chiefly of Sophomores and Juniors, but with a generous sprinkling of first year men, too.

In addition to his full coaching staff, Harlow will have the help of several of this year's graduating Seniors. Work for most of them will be of the occasional variety, however, because no more than five or six will be on hand for each ordinary daily practice. Real work begins on Monday, when the squad enters upon a six day a week schedule which is slated to last until May 1, with the exception of spring vacation.