Taylor, Kuhn Appointed to Head Jubilee and Smoker Committees

Appointees Replace Officers of Class; To Take Charge of Stag Party, Dance

Harvey C. Taylor, of Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Wigglesworth Hall, has been appointed chairman of the Freshman Jubilee Committee, it was announced yesterday by the Student Council advisors on Freshman Affairs, Langdon P. Marvin, Jr. '41 and Douglas Mercer '40.

At the same time it was revealed that George A. Kuhn, Jr., of Indianapolis, Indiana and Wigglesworth Hall, will head the Freshman Smoker Committee.

Eleven Appointed

Eleven men were appointed to the Jubilee Committee and six to the Smoker Committee under the system adopted by the Student Council this year abolishing Freshman elections and putting the choice of committees up to the Council advisors and the Union Committee.

The '42 Jubilee Committee will consist of Charles B. Ayres, John P. Bunker, Thomas C. Carroll, Don S. Friedkin, Joseph M. Miller, William C. Murphy, Arthur H. Northrup, William B. Parsons, Jr., and Endicott Peabody, II.

The Yardlings appointed to the Smoker Committee will be Charles S. Bridge, James E. Meredith, Jr., J. Leo Rost, Philip G. Walters, and Lothrop Withington, Jr.

Chairmen Prominent

Both Kuhn and Taylor are members of the Union Committee, the executive committee of the Freshman class. Taylor was goalie on the Yardling hockey team, and Kuhn played end on the football team until he was disabled by a broken ankle in the Dartmouth game.

The duties of the committees will be to take charge of the two big events in the Freshman calendar, the Smoker and the Jubilee. The Jubilee Committee will direct the dance held at the end of each year to celebrate the departure of the Freshman class from the Yard.

Smoker to be Held in May

The Smoker Committee has the task of arranging the program and securing speakers for the huge stag affair held in Memorial Hall in May. Well known figures from the sports world and the stage usually address the class at this event.

The new system of appointing the members of the two groups is being used for the first time this year after the class of '42 voted Monday to abolish class elections and class officers.