Engineering Society to Exhibit New Equipment and Methods Tomorrow

Laboratories for Photo-Elasticity and Materials-Testing, Atom Smasher, Electron Furnace, and Famous Wind-Tunnel Will Be Included in Engineering School Exhibit

Instruments with which Harvard's engineering scientists are pushing man's conquest of his physical environment,--among atoms and microorganisms, soils and metals, radio and electricity, in sound, the air, and motion,--will be on display to members of the University and their guests in an open house tomorrow night from 7 to 11 o'clock, sponsored by the Harvard Engineering Society.

The hundred-ton cyclotron, one of the most powerful atom-smashers in the world, will be on view. In addition the visitor may see the new indoor wind-tunnel for testing airplane design; the new electron bombardment furnace, producing temperatures half as hot as the sun; the 100,000 - volt storage battery, most powerful in the world; the high-frequency radio equipment making automatic records of condition in the ionosphere; experiments which have led to a new theory of mountain formation; and many other laboratory features.

New Laboratories Open

The new laboratories will be open for inspection: the new photo-elasticity laboratory, in which polarized light is used to record conditions of stress in celluloid models of engineering structures; and the material-testing laboratory, in which metals and other substances are subjected to tremendous pulls, squeezes, and clips, under the eye of recording equipment.

All four buildings of the Graduate School of Engineering opposite the University Museum on Oxford street, will be open to visitors and faculty members. Student guides will be on hand at all the points of interest to explain the exhibits.

In the Rotch Building, headquarters of Harvard's metallurgy studies, may be seen the new election bombardment furnace, new metallographs for studying the crystal structure of metals, and the new materials-testing laboratory. In the new furnace, which utilizes the stream of electrons to make intense heats, such metals as irridium, platinum, and platinum have been melted with heats ranging up to 4500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pierce Hall contains the new windtunnel, just completed last fall for tests of model airplanes in wind speeds ranging up to 140 miles an hour. Here also is the Harvard Soil Mechanics laboratory, a pioneer in its field, where may be seen graphic experiments of the formation of quicksand, landslides, the failure of earth dams and building foundations, and frost heaving.

"Believe it or Not" Display

The elementary laws of motion are brought to bear in the "Believe it or not" display of the dynamics laboratory, in which visitors may observe the action of gyroscopes, pendulums, the force of gravity, and other features.

In Cruft laboratory, Harvard's famed center for research in communication engineering, are the experiments on sound, radio transmission, phonograph recording, and light, characteristics. Here is the station which maintains continuous automatic shortwave radio communication with Troy, N. Y. in an investigation of the ionosphere, the little understood deep-blankets of atomic particles which surround the earth a hundred or so miles from the ground and enable long-distance wireless communication.

Here may be seen what is probably the worlds best phonograph, incorporating refinements developed by Harvard engineers to minimize record-wear and give sound reproduction into the highest frequencies.