STUDENT CONGRESS RECEIVES REPORTS

Harvard-Radcliffe Group Asks U.S. to Give Financial Help to Victims of Aggression

Heated debates between liberals and conservatives arose Saturday when the Harvard-Radcliffe Congress on Legislation considered the committee reports on broad domestic and foreign issues.

With resolutions endorsing specific internal and foreign policies in accord with the New Deal, the reports by eight committees on education, social security, health, agriculture, civil liberties, foreign policy were voted on by a body relief, labor and the Wagner Act, and foreign policy were voted on by a body varying from 75 to 200 people in Littaner Center.

Foreign Policy in Limelight

Longest and most heated debate developed over foreign policy when a small group of isolationists unsuccessfully attempted to defeat a committee report urging economic cooperation with the non-aggressors.

Supporting a policy of no favoritism to any country engaged in war, the minority wanted the Congress to pass resolutions for prohibiting the sale of goods of any kind to belligerent nations; for forbidding American ships to travel to belligerents; and for stating that the U. S. would take no stand on collective security against forcible aggression unless it also advocated some technique for "peaceful change."

Back Wagner Act

Over loud protests of critics of the U. S. Labor Relations Board, the Congress passed resolutions endorsing the Wagner Act and censuring amendments which would make it more favorable to big business.

On Civil Liberties the session went on record as approving the LaFollette Committee's work and strongly protesting the Dies Committee's investigation of "Un-American Activities." It also censured poll taxes and other means used to prevent racial minorities from voting.

The Congress decided to send a member down to Washington with copies of the resolutions for Senate and House leaders.