‘A Big Win’: Harvard Expands Kosher Options in Undergraduate Dining Halls

Top Republicans Ask Harvard to Detail Plans for Handling Campus Protests in New Semester

Harvard’s Graduate Union Installs Third New President in Less Than 1 Year

Harvard Settles With Applied Physics Professor Who Sued Over Tenure Denial

Longtime Harvard Social Studies Director Anya Bassett Remembered As ‘Greatest Mentor’

The Moviegoer

AT THE UNIVERSITY

Everyone, deep down inside, wishes he could swashbuckle. It's probably something left over from childhood, when we thumbed Howard Pyle's "Book of Pirates," and imagined ourselves standing on the poop-deck, armed to the teeth. The next best thing, of course, is watching somebody else do it. This is what makes Cecil DeMille's "The Buccaneer," now at the University, such a thoroughly delightful picture. We have heard that the film is a travesty on history, but it is doubtful if Mr. DeMille could better have satisfied the great American public than with this magnificent piece of nationalism. Dealing with the pirate Jean Lafitte, (Fredric March) and his part in winning the battle of New Orleans, the picture affords a liberal glimpse at the romantic lives of the men without a country. Mr. March turns in an excellent performance, but the honors go to Akim Tamiroff in the role of Dominique You. His sympathetic portrayal of the strong, coarse, kindly outlaw is guaranteed to transport the audience far beyond the realms of Harvard Square. The picture is recommended for first-class entertainment.