Crimson Crews To See First Action Today

150-Pounders to Meet Tech as All Four Crews Open Spring At Home

By William W. Tyng

The Crimson oarsmen today swing into their first competitive action of the year with prospects for a clean sweep as the Varsity, Freshmen, and Jayvees meeting M. I. T., Rutgers, and B. U. on the Charles. Bert Haines' 150's race a similar crew from the down river Institute.

The '42 outfit, stroked by Paul Pennoyer, will hit the starting line in front of the Tech boathouse at 3:30 o'clock. Not rated as strong as a year ago, the Yardlings still should finish ahead of their opposition.

Unsettled Jayvees Favored

At 4 o'clock the Junior Varsity race gets under way. With positions in the shell unsettled, the Jayvees eked out a slim six-foot victory over a game but lighter third crew in the time-trials Thursday. While far better than last year's Junior Varsity, its spirit and power are handicapped by the sloppy form of certain individual oarsmen.

According to their coach, Bert Haines, the 150's aren't as yet as strong as last spring's crew, which crossed to England for the Henley race. Vince Bailey heads the nucleus of four returning lettermen, and his shell should win today.

Rowe At Stroke

This year's Varsity, despite the loss of Spike Chace, will again be one of the strongest in the country. A Senior, Bill Rowe has assumed Chace's stroke oar. Rowe stroked his Freshman crew and for the past two years has held that position on the Jayvee crew.

Because of Rowe's indifference last year and earlier this season, many felt that Colton Wagner might step into Chace's stretcher after a single year of experience with the Yardlings. Weighing 185 and standing six feet four, the veteran Rowe is the logical choice. His ability to whip the blade through fast and maintain his proportion will make the Varsity tough to beat on racing starts and final Sprints.

Stevens, Gray Certainties

Bob Stevens, a Junior and veteran of last year's crew handles the seven oar with assurance. Sherman Gray, Yardling captain a year ago, replaces the graduated Doug Ericson at six and in his first year on the Varsity is one of the smoothest oarsmen in the boat.

The five position has been Coach Team Bolles' biggest problem Wait Kernan, four man last spring has been switched to starboard to fill the vacancy caused by Gardiner's graduation. Finishing far out to port, consistently catching late and missing water, Kernan remains the question mark of the Bolles boat.

Fowler Surprises

Bob Fowler, two men of last year's Freshman, surprised everybody including Bolles by installing himself, temporarily at least, on the number four slide. Although he washes out slightly and seems to be fascinated by the sight of his blade shoving back mounds of water, he is a hard worker and should be able to hold off stiff competition.

Captain Dudley Talbot's rowing at three cannot be praised too highly. The only other Senior in the boat besides Bill Rowe, Captain Talbot is the hardest and most consistent worker. A veteran like Talbot, John Richards fills the two position with a powerful oar, which makes up for any lack of form.

Pirnie a Colorful Addition

Sophomore Bruce Pirnie holds down the bow and his fighting spirit, expressed sometimes in verbal terms, adds atmosphere to the usually quiet end of the boat.

Crew Lineups

Varsity Crew: Rowe, stroke; Stevens, 7; Gray, 6; Kernan, 5; Fowler, 4; Talbot, 3; Richards, 2; Pirnie, Bow; Shortlidge, Cox.

Jayvee Crew: Wilson, Stroke; Hinkley, 7; Taylor, 6; Kingman, 5; Reed, 4; Moffat, 3; Hovey, 2; Ninde, Bow; Fox, Cox.

Freshman Crew: Pennoyer, Stroke Bacon, 7; Whitman, 6; Marshall, 5; Villa, 4; Herter, 3; Erskine, 2; Brown, Bow; Ducey, Cox.

150-pound Crew: Bailey, Stroke; Turner, 7; Pierce, 6; Gifford, 5; Hazard, 4; Crocker, 3; Keeniger, 2; Gilkey, Bow Larner, Cox