Keppel, McMahan Get Official Designation as Freshman Deans

Crimson Anticipated Keppel's Installation as New Official In March 28 Story

Knight W. McMahan '33, assistant in Philosophy, and Francis Keppel '38, former president of the Student Council, have received appointments as assistant deans of the College, effective next September, the University announced today.

As was anticipated last month by the CRIMSON, there will be an addition of one dean to the University's administrative staff. Two men will replace E. Francis Bowditch '35, who will leave at the end of this semester to become headmaster of Park School, Indianapolis.

McMahan and Keppel will assume the duties formerly cared for by Dean Bowditch and Dean Henry Chauncey '28, the latter devoting his full time to the administration of National and Freshman scholarships.

Active in Class

Keppel, whose new office was unofficially reported in a CRIMSON rumor story on March 28, came to Harvard from Groton School and entered upon an extensive undergraduate career, which included, in addition to his post as head of the Student Council, positions as chairman of the Red Book, president of the Eliot House Committee, secretary of Phillips Brooks House, and member of the Permanent Class Committee.

McMahan a Top-Ranking Scholar

After preparing at Harter-Stanford Township High School in Flora, Illinois, McMahan came to Cambridge on a scholarship given by the Harvard Club of Chicago. His busy undergraduate years, during which he was on the Leverett House Committee and won the Palfrey Exhibition, were climaxed by election to Phi Beta Kappa in his Junior year, becoming First Marshal the next year, and graduating summa cum laude.

After holding a Henry Russell Shaw Traveling Scholarship from 1933 to 1934, McMahan settled down at the University to study philosophy. He received a Ph.D. in 1937 and for the past two years has served as an assistant in Philosophy and a proctor.