ELEVEN FRESHMEN PROTEST ADMISSION PLAN FOR HOUSES

Group Sends Letter to Committee on Houses After Consulting Freshman Dean

Expressing dissatisfaction with the present system of House selection "which denies membership to high ranking men engaged in outside activities and sports," a group of 11 active Yardlings yesterday sent a letter to the Contral Committee on the Houses, seeking admissions on a "merit basis."

The Freshman committee, which was voluntarily banded together from Yardlings who received House acceptances, consulted Dean Leighton yesterday afternoon. The Freshman Dean will turn over the recommendations to the Central Committee.

Eleven Yardlings Leading Movement

Members of the Yardling group are George A. Kuhn, Endicott Peabody H, Charles S. Bridge, Arthur T. Lyman, Jr., Lothrop Withington, Jr., Robert A. Keller, Eugene D. Keith, Edward B. Spaeth, Jr., John C. Lacey, C. Burgess Ayres, and Demarest Lioyd.

The committee hopes to have the Student Council sponsor its program based on "merit," with an eventual solution which will not "cause such universal dissatisfaction and ill feeling."

"Grades and Outside Activities"

The letter further stated: "We whole-heartedly support the belief that House membership should be granted on the basis of grades and outside activities--that is, strictly on the merit system.

"This is especially true since the Houses have become so important and fewer Freshmen are admitted to them. Whether they are good men or not, out-of-House men are sure to be looked down on as insignificant left-overs."

Point Out Two instances

The Yardling group pointed out that investigation revealed that two of the men who had been turned down by the House of their choice shared the following positions: Jubilee Chairman, Smoker Committee, Red Book Business Manager, football managing, Union Committee, hockey and golf teams, and Phillips Brooks House work with the Undergraduate Faculty, Hand Book, and Social Service. One is in group 5; the other in group 4.