IGOR STRAWINSKY GETS POSITION AS NORTON PROFESSOR

Plans to Take Up Residence at College, Giving at Least Six Lectures on Musical Subjects

Igor Strawinsky, internationally recognized composer of modern music, has been appointed Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry for the coming academic year, according to an announcement from University Hall.

Strawinsky was born in Oranienbaum, Russia, in 1882. He has lived in Paris during the past twenty years. Among his best known works are "L'Oiseau de Feu," "Petrouchka," "Le sacre du Printemps," "L'Histoire du Soldat," "Oedipus Rex," and "Symphonie de Psaumes."

The noted musician will be in residence at Harvard during the coming year, and he will deliver publicly not less than six lectures on music.

The Charles Eliot Norton Professorship of Poetry was established in 1925 through the gift of Charles Chauncey Stillman '28, in memory of Charles Eliot Norton, who was professor of the History of Art.

The holder of the Professorship is chosen each year without specifications as to nationality from men of high distinction and, preferably, of international reputation, in any field of "poetry," including all poetic expression in language, music, or the fine arts.