FIVE WINNERS OF ANNUAL BOWDOIN PRIZES SELECTED

FIRST GIVEN IN 1794

Award of the annual Bowdoin prizes for dissertations in English, the oldest prize awards in Harvard to two graduate students and three undergraduates was announced yesterday.

Established in 1794 by Governor James Bowdoin of the class of 1745 and increased in 1901 by George S. Bowdoin, the prizes have been presented consecutively for over 150 years.

Graduate winners of two $300 first prizes were Samuel H. Beer, instructor in Government, for an essay entitled Appetite and Reason: a Humanistic Theory of Ethics" and Peter Viereck 1G of New York City for an essay entitled "Romanticism and the Surrender to 'Life'". Honorable mention for the graduate prize awards went to William E. Daugherty 2G of David City, Nebraska for a paper entitled "The Meaning of 'Good'".

Bate Undergraduate Winner

First undergraduate prize of $500 was won by Walter J. Bate '39 of Richmond, Indiana for a work called "Negative Capability: Keats' Conception of the Poetical Character." Henry D. Oyen '41 took a $200 award for his essay "Irregular War" and the $100 third place award went to Archibald B. Roosevelt '40 for "The Smith in Song and Saga."

Honorable mention for the undergraduate prizes was given to Howard S. Nemerov '41 of New York City for "The Questor-Hero", Epes D. Chase '39 of Milton for "Coleridge's Concept of Art and Its Significance in His Philosophical System," and Richard W. B. Lewis of Philadelphia for "The Christian Humanism of Marguerite de Navarre."