Healey, Marvin Top Student Council Election Slate

Winthrop and Eliot Houses Each Get Four Representatives; Tie for Sixth Place in Junior Vote Reduces Appointments

Six athletes are among the ten upperclassmen elected in last week's voting to Student Council positions, it was announced last night. Over 1000 Sophomores and Juniors took part in the balloting in which the winners in both classes had wide margins over their next opponents.

A tie for sixth place in the Junior vote will reduce the number of 1940 members appointed by the new board from five to four, the present chairman, Richard H. Sullivan '39, said last night. Although the Constitution does not provide for the emergency, the Council last night used "executive discretion which we hope will be acceptable to the Class of 1940."

Final tabulations showed that four Winthrop men, four Eliot, one Dunster, and one Adams man had been elected. It was baseball twirler Thomas V. Healey who led the Junior slate with 207 votes; Langdon P. Marvin topped the list in the '41 race with 202.

In addition to Healey, six other Juniors were named to Council posts. Frederick Holdsworth, Jr., incumbent, of Eliot House was second with 187 votes; Phil C. Neal, incumbent, of Dunster, third with 184; Mason Fernald, track letterman of Eliot House and also an incumbent was fourth with 180.

Lightbody, Mercer Tie

William C. Coleman, Jr., next year's hockey captain, was fifth on the '40 slate with 173 ballots cast. The tie for sixth was between two present members of the Council, 1940 track captain James D Light body, Jr, and Douglas Mercer of Winthrop House who led the ticket last year; both received 168 votes. The election of seven instead of six Juniors will reduce the number of those appointed by one according to official decree.

In the Sophomore race basketballer Homer D. Peabody, Jr. of Winthrop House was second to Marvin with 190 votes. He was followed by football passer Robert A. James of Adams House with 149.

Only One Tie

With the exception of the tie in the Junior election the voting was not closely contested for either slate. Football captain Torbert H. Macdonald '40 was 30 votes behind the sixth place position, while Seth C. Crocker '41 of Eliot House trailed James by 13 votes.