COLLEGE NAMES EIGHT TO SOCIETY OF FELLOWS

HASKINS, WHYTE REAPPOINTED FOR NEXT YEAR

Three graduates of the College and three students from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences were among the eight men who will begin independent study and research for three years this September as Junior Fellows of the Society of Fellows.

Daniel H. H. Ingalls '36, of Hot Springs, Virgins, will work in Indic philology; Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, of Cambridge, American history; and Francis J. Whitfield '36, A.M. '37, Slavic languages and literature.

The other new Fellows and their fields are: Lawrence H. Aller, California '36, A.M. '38, of Oakland, California, astrophysics; Donald R. Hamilton, Princeton '35, of Flushing, New York, physics; Donald B. King, Dartmouth '35, of Unionville, Connecticut, ancient history; Lynn H. Loomis, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute '37, of Ossining, New York, mathematics; and George S. Vickers, A. B. McMaster, of St. Catherine's, Ontario, Canada, fine arts.

George L. Haskins '35, carrying on research in history, and William F. Whyte, Swarthmore '36, in sociology, were reappointed for terms of three years respectively, after a three year period as Junior Fellows.

Free from the regulations for degrees the Fellows devote their whole time to productive scholarship, receiving no credit for courses. They receive free board and rooms in the Houses, a stipend of $1,200 to $1,500 and free use of all facilities.

This makes a total of forty-four young men from various colleges who have been appointed Junior Fellows at Harvard since the founding of the Society in 1933. The nearest existing approach to the Harvard Society is foun at some of the English colleges, especially Trinity, Cambridge.