GRIDDERS STAGE FIRST REAL GAME SCRIMMAGE

HURLS FOUR TOUCHDOWN PASSES AND RUNS ONE OVER

Triple threat Torbie Macdonald was almost the whole show Saturday morning as he led the Varsity A team to a five touchdown romp over the B team in the season's first game scrimmage at Soldiers Field.

The fleet captain with the rakish stride figured in all of the scores. Four times he was on the tossing end of conceded touchdown pass plays, having Joe Gardella, Gene Lovett, Charley Spreyer and Jim Devine on the receiving end. After they had eluded the secondary, Coach Dick Harlow's whistle brought the ball back to midfield each time.

Macdonald's Touchdown Jaunt

Macdonald also counted the only touchdown of the day via the land route when he galloped 40 yards to pay dirt on a neat piece of broken field running. The game was not a genuine one, however, because the two teams simply alternated carrying the pigskin from the midfield stripe. They each had the ball for groups of five plays.

The contest lasted for more than an hour, and during that time guard Ernie Sargeant and end Gene Lovett led a spirited regular defense which hurled back every B team offensive effort. The C and D teams then ended the day's activities by engaging in a short scrimmage session. There were no casualties Saturday, but Joel Ferris, Dick Pfister, and Loren MacKinney are still shelved with minor groin injuries.