Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line
At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions
Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists
‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam
‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6
An exhibit of the methods and influence of the Bauhaus, world-famous school of design founded by Walter Gropius, now chairman of the Department of Architecture, is on public view in Robinson Hall.
The exhibit is open daily except Sundays from 9 to 5, and will remain until January 23. It was prepared and is being circulated by the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Included are many products of the Bauhaus workshops, the first tubular chairs, modern lighting fixtures, typographical designs, porcelain and metal tableware, fabrics and wall papers, many of which have entered mass production and become commonplace.
Under the Bauhaus program a student spent three years in the workshops in practical training, at the same time receiving formal courses in design and color.
Abstract Designs Displayed
Abstract designs are shown, created in the six-month preliminary course, which was intended to acquaint students with the properties of materials, free them from conventional forms, and aid them in a vocational choice.
Spread of the influence of the Bauhaus, particularly in the United States, is shown through examples of architecture, stage design, advertising and magazine layout, and household furnishings, and also through work at the New Bauhaus, Chicago, and at Black Mountain College, N. C.
Paintings, Sculpture Outstanding
Outstanding among the original productions shown are paintings by teachers and students, an exhibit of "tactile sculpture" testing the sense of touch, and also a set of functionally designed chess men whose moves are indicated in the shape of the pieces.
Professor Gropius founded the Bauhaus in 1919, and continued at its head until 1928, when he entered private practice. The school was closed in 1933 by the National Socialist government.
The Bauhaus had as its object the training of a new type of designer, combining imaginative design and technical proficiency. First located at Weimar, and later at Dessau, the school trained hundreds of students, and had a particularly important effect on the development of modern architecture.
Among those associated with Gropius in the school were such well-known figures as Kandinsky, Klee, Feininger, Schlemmer, Itten, Moholy-Nagy, Albers, Bayer, Breuer, Stoelzl, and others
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.