The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

THE MOVIEGOER

At the University

Umpteenth in a series of screwball comedies, "The Amazing Mr. Williams" provides an amusing respite from Widener. Joan Blondell and Melvyn Douglas both turn out humorous performances in Columbia's imitation of the "Thin Man" series. Super-sleuth Douglas in the course of the picture apprehends a bank robber, decoys a skull-crusher, and takes a "desperate criminal,"--middle-aged and bald--on a double date to the beach with Miss Blondell. One of the more slap-stick incidents occurs when the amazing Mr. Williams attempts to disguise himself by donning women's clothes; it is a backneyed device, but good for several belly-laugbs.

"Mill on the Floss," the accompanying picture, is of an entirely different sort from "The Amazing Mr. Williams." Acted and photographed well, its direction lacks the spark to make it outstanding. The Victorian lines of George Eliot may be responsible for much of its lack of color. Although their endings are different, "Mill on the Floss" follows its namesake novel quite closely. This fact and some spectacular shots of turbulent water thundering over the broken dam are the principal redeeming features of a production which is by no means exceptional reading period fare.