Fogg Treasures Shown In Rare Exhibition of Gold and Jade Today

Handicraft of Old South American Tribes On Display

Treasures of gold, jade, and sculpture will be shown in an exhibit, opening today at the Fogg Museum of Art, of the fine arts developed by the civilizations of the Aztees, Mayas, and other native American peoples. The display will continue until February 10.

More than two hundred objects of sculpture, pottery, textiles, jade, and gold-work are included, giving a view of the high artistry achieved by the people of Mexico. Central America, and Peru, during the period that Christian civilization developed in Europe.

Museum officials said that that display is probably their most important of the year. The exhibit was prepared jointly by the Fogg Museum and the Peabody Museum of Archeology, which has pioneered much of the recovery of early American cultures. Through the courtesy of the Mexicon government, part of the collection from the Mexican Pavilion of the New York World's Fair has been loaned to the Fogg Museum for exhibition.