1944 Fails to Impress As Worcester Wins, 6-0

Schoolboys Score Early on Passes, Bottle up Yardling Offensive

Two-fifths of the way through their season, the Freshman eleven has yet to run into scoring figures. Worcester Academy began where Exeter had left off, and when the Yardlings retired from the field Saturday they were on the small end of a 6 to 0 count.

Catching the Crimson defense flatfooted, the Schoolboys struck early in the first period with Mitchell connecting first to Joyce and then to McGlory for the only score of the game.

Schoolboys Protect Early Lead

After that Worcester clung tenaciously to its slim lead and effectively throttled what few Freshman threats there were before they had time to materialize. For most of the game the Yardlings looked on the verge of going places, but the spark which they lacked against Exeter was still missing, and only once did Chief Boaton's eleven look like an effective team.

Starting off in the fourth period, 1944 picked up inside their own 20 and by using a series of powerful line bucks, sweeps, and reverses, drove to the Schoolboy 25, averaging a first down every two plays. Here Worcester braced and held.