SQUAD DRIVES FOR CADETS

Army Arrives Tonight; Ayres in Scrimmage

Center Burgy Ayres got his first taste of contact work since returning to the squad as the Varsity drove at high gear through a snappy defensive scrimmage against Army strategy yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field.

Pete Elser, Loren MacKinney, George Heiden and Lone Star Dietz were given a rest from the scrimmage as the A and B lines alternated against the third string which fed Army plays to them. The starting center assignment is not yet definite although it is certain that both Ayres and Dietz will see action against the cadets.

Punting Looks Up

A short punting session saw Captain Joe Gardella, Mort Waldstein, Charley Spreyer and MacKinney pitted against each other, all averaging over 40 yards per kick. Signal and passing drills rounded out the two hour practice with Gardella and Vern Miller moving up to the A squad temporarily.

Three full cadet teams will arrive in Boston tonight with a workout scheduled in the stadium tomorrow. West Pointers, 1000 strong, will pull into the Huntington Avenue station Saturday morning at 9 o'clock, ride the subway out, and then make their traditional marching entrance into the Yard.

After formations in front of Widener Library they will eat lunch in the Freshman Union. The march into the stadium will be at 1:15 o'clock.