RAW AMHERST TEAM HOPEFUL OF REPEAT OF '03 TRIUMPH

But Boys Have No Illusions About Crimson Power

By Fred STAFFORD Sports editor and The AMHERST Student

Not that Amherest's colorful Lord Jeffs are expectant of upsetting the proverbial apple-jalopy and handing Harvard anything resembling a trouncing this Saturday, but neither were those hardy gridmen of the famous 1903 team which gave the Crimson their first defeat over from a minor college opponent!

It is pretty generally recognized in the Jeffs' quarters that the caliber of the opposition which the Sabrinas will run up against at Harvard Stadium this weekend will be of a far higher type than that which an extremely game, but considerably under-manned and inadequately conditioned Hobart squad presented here last week, when the Jeffs opened with a somewhat surprising 32-7 triumph.

No Illusions

But the Purple and White coaches, fans and rooters who will stream eastward to Cambridge for this 22nd renewal of one of the country's most ancient of football rivalries aren't shedding any great quantity of crocodile tears on behalf of Dick Harlow for his plaintive meaning about lack of material in the Cantab camp.

While it may be true that it will be up to the comparatively green sophomores of '39 to carry the Crimson's heaviest burden this fall and while it may be pretty much of an accepted fact that the Crimson tackle slots need considerable plugging, the Jeffs have no illusions about this scrap.

Suffice it to say that the Jeffs, after having been tagged by the experts as being in the throes of a building period this year, are much buoyed up by their opening success and are anxious to stir up some trouble this week, and probably will do that--though to how great an extent they will be capable of doing so is still a major question.

Only Nine Lettermen

The Sabrinas this season found themselves with practically all of their front line and a full quartet of backs from the disappointing 1939 eleven gone via the sheepskin route. Nine lettermen were on hand, four of whom were linemen. Captain and tackle Wyatt Smythe, brother of end Bill Smythe, and guards Pete Craft and Gene Hubbard, the latter of whom spent most of last season on the bench, are the returning lettermen.

Senior Tom Skeel and junior Frank Thomas have been drafted to fill the center spot in place of the three graduating lettermen at that position. At the open tackle spot junior Jack Heald is filling in nicely, while Bob Johnson, another junior, and sophomore Bud Hasse performed mostly at the vacant end position Saturday.

Blood Will Kick

In the backfield, Coach Lloyd Jordan started an all-senior quarter composed of quarter-back Charlie Callanan, left half Frank Sweeny, right half Dick Kuehne and fullback Bob Bidwell. All but Kuehne, who was retarded by the injury jinx in '39, are lettermen.

An all-junior quartet of scampering Bob Blood, who raced away for a 20-yard touchdown jaunt against Hobart, Tom Mulroy, Obie Slingerland and Perry Sawyer is also available. Blood seems to have answered the Jeffs' kicking problem while Sweeny and Slingerland, the latter out of action all last year due to scholastic deficlencies, took care of the serial display. Mulroy, also forced to serve as bench ballast in '39 by injuries, seems destined to reach the peak predicted for him last year, turning in a brilliant bit of work against Hobart.

Seniors Bill Marberger and Ralph Rosenberry are two more fine backs, while the Jeffs also have on hand a group of sophomores, Joe Quinn, Chick koehel, Bob Izant and John Thomas for substitute chores.

The varsity line appears to be shaping up well, the kicking and passing assignments seem to he in capable hands, and if the Jeffs do not again run into Old Man Injury to any great extent, this so-called "building season" may yet develop into something rather successful after all.