HEIDEN, GARDELLA MISS BROWN TILT

MacKinney Takes Blocking Job And Brown Blocking Back

Harvard's football team will be without the services of Joe Gardella and George Heiden for the Brown game this Saturday. Bill Brown will continue to work in the bucking back role, and Loren MacKinney will fill in for Heiden.

Both Heiden and Gardella will dress for the game, and Dick Harlow's decision to keep them out of the fray probably results from his desire to have the team at full strength for Yale the following week. The Harvard captain participated in most of the work yesterday afternoon and could undoubtedly play against Brown if he were sorely needed. Gardella has a capable understudy in Mississippi Bill Brown, so his absence will not slow up the Harlow offense too much.

Defensive Loss

The loss of Heiden is more serious, but if MacKinney can pick up the quarterback's blocking assignments this week, the team should not be weakened offensively. Defensively, however, it is a different story because the Heiden MacKinney due is far stronger than the MacKinney-Barnes combination. Heiden has been the Crimson defensive leader all season, and MacKinney will have a tough time stepping into his shoes overnight.

The Varsity squad was forced indoors for the second day in a row and put in a full 2 1/2 hours on regulation gridiron chores. Actual contact work was limited to line scrimmage, and Brown plays again occupied the spotlight.