House Sports Reach Climax As Football Champs Invade Yale, and Soccer, Cross Country End

COMMUTERS WIN CROSS COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIP

In spite of losing first and second place honors to Winthrop, a strong Dudley cross country team outran competition from the other Houses by a large margin in the annual meet held yesterday afternoon. The Commuters captured the title by a high standing in the lower brackets.

Bob Houghton of Winthrop took the lead soon after passing the halfway mark, and turned in the winning time of ten minutes and three quarters, only a second better than that of his teammate, Fred Phinney. First of the Dudley runners to cross the line was Tom McElligot, who finished in third place.

The pack of forty harriers started and finished their mile and three-quarters grind in front of the Newell Boathouse.

Although not officially recognized as a regular House sport, and therefore not counted toward the Straus Trophy, soccer has proved a very keen source of intramural competition since its inaugural this fall. It will be included in the regular series next year, it was announced yesterday by Adolf Samborski, Director of Intramural Athletics.

Informal soccer teams were formed early in the fall in Lowell, Dunster, Winthrop, and Kirkland Houses, and enthusiasts in the other Houses clubbed together to form a team known as the "Dealers." These squads, together with the second Freshman team, competed in the series.

Although there are still two more games to be played, the Bellboys have definitely copped first place, and the second Freshman team seems a sure bet for runner up. PRESENT SOCCER STANDINGS   Won  Lost  Tied  Pts. Lowell  4  0  1  9 2nd Fr'shm'n  3  1  0  6 Dunster  3  2  0  6 Winthrop  1  2  1  3 Dealers  1  3  0  2 Kirkland  0  4  0  0