American Civilization Essay Contest Starts

Five Cash Awards Will Be Presented For Best Critical Themes on America

Five cash prizes are offered by the American Civilization Group in the third semi-annual contest of critical essays on topics concerning American history and culture, written by Freshmen. The contest, which closes on December 19, offers five prizes of twenty-five dollars each for the best critical theme.

The awards, financed by the Bliss Fund, will be presented to the writers of the four best essays. An additional prize will be given to the author of the best one of this group.

By a special consent of the English department, themes from English A students as well as other Freshmen entrees will be acceptable. The final awards will be presented to the winners of the contest at a special luncheon in January.

In charge of the affair are Bernard R. Bowron and Joseph T. Lambie; American Civilization Councilors. They will have office hours in the Union Library every day from twelve to one o'clock to discuss the contest or give advice to Yardlings who plan to submit themes.