TIGERS EDGE QUINTET 33-32 IN PHOTO FINISH

Neither Team Able to Get Range of Basket in Low-Scoring Game; Lutz High Scorer.

By John C. Robbins

Another photo-finish defeat was a bitter pill for the Varsity basketball team to swallow Saturday night, especially as it was to a Princeton quintet that could have and should have been beaten.

It was an unusual game in two respects: first, in the low score of 33 to 32, caused by the inability of either team to get the range of the baskets, and second, by the crucial play which closed the game and came close to giving the Crimson a last-minute win.

Take Quick Lead

Harvard jumped to a quick lead of 10 to 3 with only six minutes gone, and the sons of Nassau had not yet shown a thing to justify their ranking as second team in the league while, the home team had looked like anything but the second lowest.

At this point the Feslermen also went into a bad slump, and the remainder of the half was a succession of bungled plays and muffed shots by both teams. In the last minute the Tiger tied the score for the first time, 14 to 14.

Seesaw Fight

The second half continued to be a seesaw battle down to the last moment, when Princeton led, 33 to 30. With only 30 seconds to go Charley Lutz sank a long shot to bring the Crimson up to within a point of tying the score.

Then, as the clock on the scoreboard showed only one second of play remaining. Lutz was given two free shots for a personal foul. This was as tough a spot as any basketball player could possibly be placed in, as to make one shot meant a tie and two, a victory. But Lutz was unable to sink either of his tries, and the game ended.

Lutz High Scorer

The Crimson captain was the highest scorer of the evening with 12 points, and Dan Carmichael. Princeton guard, followed him with 10. Bud Finegan was third with nine points.

The defeat dropped the Crimson into the cellar of the League and strengthened the Tigers hold on second. The two teams meet again Wednesday night at Princeton.