PROBLEMS OF MODERN DEMOCRACY

Things have come to a pretty pass in the Yard these days: the Freshmen's latest and biggest extra-curricular activity is worrying about how to run their extra-curricular activities. Tomorrow they'll be voting on this thorny problem: elected class officers, or appointments? Where there's smoke there's fire, and sure enough upon investigation this cockeyed situation reveals a basic paradox: only if and when the class votes thumbs down on elections, can they have any kind of elections they want. By all means, let the Yardlings have just what they want.

The past is rising before the Yardlings like a cloud--a past crammed with visions of irresponsible Presidents who have made their roommates Jubilee chairmen and then kidded them playfully for running $1000 in the red. The Freshmen shiver when they hear of a former ice-cream cater, or a milk-drinker, who rose to triumph on his illgotten publicity. It's all very unfortunate, when an election should be such a fine thing, a stimulant to class interest, even a lesson in citizenship. Yes, the Freshmen are right, the old system must go.

There are systems and systems, some bad, others not so bad, but since the Yardlings are in such a dither, it might help them to have a working blueprint that at least may bring some improvement. First, the Union Committee's experience and knowledge might be put to use by having them nominate men for specific jobs. Then the class can vote on these men, not for vague prominence as figureheads, but for the downright drudgery of running the Smoker and Jubilee. Both these steps would help get the best men for the jobs, and would let the class run its own affairs. But nobody ought to worry about this business too much; those Freshmen have a head or two on their shoulders, and just watch, they'll come out all right yet.