SIX TRACKMEN TRAVEL TO IC4A IN NEW YORK

Captain Jim Lightbody Is Not Entered In Games Because of Leg Injury in Quadrangulars

With their little captain, Jim Lightbody, conspicuous by his absence, a half dozen Mikkola men boarded the Florida Special for New York last night to compete in the IC4A games, an all day meet which will wind up with finals at the Madison Square Garden at 7:00 o'clock tonight.

With the scratching of the ace middle distance man, the unexpected Harvard bid for a high place in the scoring of the meet went with the wind. Jim contributed substantially to the overwhelming defeat the Mikkola brood handed a strong Cornell and a weak Yale and Dartmouth team in the Quadrangular meet at the Garden last Saturday. But the double victory in the 600 and the 1000 last weekend was paid for with a strained leg muscle which has not responded to treatment. Dopesters who based their happy Harvard predictions on the performances in the Quad meet were forced to reverse, take off their rose colored glasses, though the Crimson will certainly suffer no disgrace.

Shallow Faces Bowdoin, Johnson

Bill Shallow, after breaking the Harvard record last weekend, will be shot putting in the sturdy company, of Perkins of Bowdoin, and Johnson of Maine, but he will be far from out classed. In the weights George Downing and Howard Mendell, two other point producers of last Saturday will be heaving against steady 50 feet men from Georgetown and Pennsylvania.

Steve Madey will pit his pole vaulting e'lan against Yale's Tommy Lussen for the second time this season, and the chances are that the little boy blue will be stiffer competition than he was in the Quad Meet. Don Donahue will probably meet a more self possessed Jay Shields today than the one who spilled three hurdles running for Yale in the Gardon.

Smith Runs in Fifty

Charlie Smith's 5.5 in the 50 yard dash will not show up too well in the fast field and the extra 10 yards in the IC4A. He will be running against Ritter of Dartmouth, Carter of Pitt, Osborne of Yale and Ewell of Penn State. The last named is supposed to have broken the record for the 50 in 5 flat, and stands to repeat his victory of last year in the IC4A 60 today.