Help Students to Prepare Careers, Arlie Bock Urges

Suggests Hygiene Department Give Tests to Find Interests and Special Abilities

Vocational guidance with a view to preparing students for careers through their undergraduate curriculums was advocated yesterday by Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene.

According to his plan, each incoming Freshman would undergo an examination given by the Hygiene Department to determine his interests and capabilities. With this information Professor Bock could then tell a student what subjects he should take and guide him in the choice of an occupation.

Plan Curriculum

Towards the middle of the Freshman year, an interview with the student would be held to determine how he was progressing. The student would then be advised what field of concentration to enter, and the rest of his curriculum would be planned at this time.

"The object of the plan," stated Professor Bock, "would be to help a man find an occupation for which he is fitted and, what is more important, one in which he is interested. At present the bulk of the students enter professions other than law, medicine, and teaching. Those fellows who are unhappy in vocations for which they are ill-fitted would be aided immeasurably by the plan."