Norman Thomas Blocks Attempts To Combine Peace Rallies Here

A.I.L. ATTACKS STRIKES

University political groups yesterday reached a new peak in their battle over plans for tomorrow's peace demonstrations when Socialist leader Norman Thomas spiked all attempts to combine the two rallies by refusing to appear on the same platform with Michael Quill, main speaker for the Harvard Peace Rally Committee.

When it heard of the Harvard Anti-War Committee's plans to sponsor a rival rally at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon in Sanders Theatre with Thomas as guest speaker, the Peace Rally Committee contacted speakers for both meetings to see if they wouldn't participate in a united peace demonstration.

Quill Agrees

C. I. O. leader Quill, keynoter for the 11 o'clock rally in Sanders Theatre, agreed to share his platform with Thomas in spite of the Socialist's opposition to him in the fall political campaign for the New York City Council, saying "On the subject of peace I am willing to talk from any platform with any other speaker."

Charging Quill with insincerity in his peace declarations, Thomas said in a telephone conversation with Alan Gottlieb '41 that "under no circumstances would I speak from the same platform with Quill except in debate. It would be political suicide for me to do so."

HSU Blamed

The Anti-War Committee blamed the HSU for the failure to arrange an all- University peace demonstration, charging that Gottlieb, HSU president, failed to answer a letter sent to him as early as February 11 proposing a joint rally.

Another political group, the American Independence League, entered the fray last night with a statement accusing both the Peace Rally Committee and the Anti-War Committee with "attempting to monopolize peaceful sentiment for partisan ends."