Network Resumes Broadcasts on Wednesday With Greater Power

STILL ON 800 BAND

After five days of experimentation and testing, the technical staff of the Crimson Radio Network has increased the efficiency of its broadcasting to cover practically the whole University, and will be ready to resume operations Wednesday evening, Charles W. Oliphant '41, technical director, announced last night.

The network went off the air last Wednesday for a further testing period because good reception was restricted to only a few sports near the studios in Shepard Hall.

Pipes Did Not Conduct

It was found on investigation that contrary to plans hardly any power had been transmitted through the heating pipes, but that the lead wire from the transmitter to the pipes had itself been radiating energy into the air.

Now the Network has a new type of lead-in to the heating unit, which gives maximum reception by insuring that the waves are carried directly to the pipes. From there, they will circulate through all the University area included in the central heating system.

The original radiation, coming from the lead-wire, was so slight that only nearby buildings could get the programs. Steel framework deflected the waves so that only radios with outside antennas could receive at all.

Some Problems Still

Certain small sections in Eliot and Dunster Houses, Straus and Hollis Halls in the Yard, still present reception problems but before long will be able to receive perfectly.

William W. Tyng '41, ex-officio chairman, stated that the Network could have begun operations tonight but that it was decided to wait until Wednesday when installation of new equipment will be completed. Studio officials have bought two new phonograph turntables and pickup arms to give uniform reception on record broadcasts.

Through a private telephone line in Lehman Hall, they will be able to pick up anything in Paine and Sever Halls, Emerson D, Fogg Museum, and Sanders Theatre. They expect soon to be able to run lines from Soldiers Field and the Indoor Athletic Building, and thus transmit events taking place there.

There will be no change in wavelength, which will remain at 800, because WHDH is the only interfering station, and goes off the air at eight o'clock.

Station WRUL has granted the network permission to pick up its regular transcribed programs and redirect them to members of the University.

The network will begin broadcasting on Wednesday at eight o'clock and carry through as before until eleven, ending with a summary of the day's college news prepared by the CRIMSON. Programs by the Stradivarius quartet, the Pierian Sodality, and the Glee Club are scheduled for the near future