Cindermen Prepare for First Meeting in Spite of Rain, Injuries

Mikkola Well Pleased With Work As Pole Vaulters Improve; No Heavy Workouts

Despite rain, snow, wet fields, frozen fields, and injuries, Coach Jaakko Mikkola is highly pleased with the work of his track squad in preparation for the Holy Cross and Northeastern triangular meet on Saturday.

Thus far, it is difficult to ascertain the true potentialities of the team, since none of the runners or field event men have been able to take heavy workouts for fear of pulled muscles and charley horses from the cold.

The recent handicap meet was not even a true test of the team, for Coach Mikkola warned the squad not to open up in the events. However, the meet did show that the Crimson will be stronger than expected in the pole vault.

Maday Improves

In the pole vault Senior Steve Madey cleared a higher distance than he ever has before. Marsh Maclasae also showed up better than he has previously, and teamed with Chet d"Autrement and Bill couch, Mikkola is rather hopeful for his vaulters in the Saturday fray.

Holy Cross has been rained or frozen out of most of its workouts along with the Crimson cindermen so neither team will be at a disadvantage. On the following Saturday, however, the team will run into a seasoned opponent when it tackles Dartmouth.

The Big Green has the largest cage n the country, giving its squad a chance to work as effectively indoors as out. There is a 100-yard straightaway, and the circumference approximates that of the outdoor tracks. The infield, too, is sufficiently large to permit jumpers, vaulters, and weight men to work without get ting in each other's way.

Mikkola's Cindermen face a week of strenuous workouts following the Holy Cross meet in order to prepare for the trip to Hanover. Although the Indians have the advantage of better working conditions thus for this spring, one week of good conditioning should enable the Mikkolamen to enter the meet on better than even terms.

Injuries have also held up the team so far this season. Hobie Lerner, who showed up well in early practices, is out with a pulled muscles, but he has the doctor's O.K. to resume workouts within the next few days. Because of a strain. Don Donahue was not able to take a hurdle until Wednesday afternoon, but Mikkola is highly satisfied with his progress.

Bill Shallow, mainstay in the hammer throw, has been forced to go easy in practice because of a slight injury. Although he will take part in Saturday's meet, he has not as yet had sufficient work to reach his top notch form of last year