Students Urged to Compete in Various Crimson Competitions

Business, Editorial, News, and Photo Positions Are Open; Cartoonist Needed

The CRIMSON's spring competition for its four boards, business, news, editorial, and photographic, will begin with a meeting of all candidates in the CRIMSON offices at 7:30 o'clock Thursday evening. For the first time this year the paper will also conduct a competition for a cartoonist.

Freshmen will have their last chance to compete for the news and photographic boards, while this will be the last opportunity for Sophomores to try out for the editorial board.

Offering unparalleled training in practical business administration, the business board will give Yardlings practice in circulation and advertisement solicitation as well as in ad-writing. Besides fulfilling more routine tasks, candidates will observe the broad, long-range policies of a business enterprise.

Snooping for news, reporting sport contents, interviewing professors and cinema actresses, wide-awake candidates for the new board will receive a thorough training in newspaper editing as well as a unique picture of Harvard life. Because of their CRIMSON experience, many former editors are now holding, comfortable berths on national periodicals and metropolitan dailies.

The first part of the competition will consist of preliminary training in writing stories and headlines, while in the last few weeks candidates will he assigned to important stories and will have every chance to do free lace reporting.

Cartoonist Competition

For the first time this spring the photo board will conduct a competition for a cartoonist who will prepare drawings for the news and editorial boards and will write cuts for advertisements. Thus his will be an inter-board position, taking part in all CRIMSON activities.

Freshmen can also try out for two vacant positions on the photo board. Besides a news photographer who is equipped to a "flash" work, the board is looking for a man who will specialize on still work with a large camera. He will prepare pictorials for full page feature articles which will appear in the CRIMSON frequently during the spring.

Announcing its last competition for Sophomores, the editorial board offers a wide literary outlet. Besides regular editorial writing, Sophomore will be urged to try their hands at movie review, play reviews, and Vagabonds