Academy of Arts, Sciences Chooses Officers; Zimmerman Elected to Science Association

Shapley Reelected President of the Academy, Hoadley and Usher Named Joint Secretaries.

Announcement of election of officers of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences for the coming year was made early yesterday morning. At the same time Carle C. Zimmerman, associate professor of Sociology, was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

Zimmerman has been elected to the Social Science section of the Association. It is believed the appointment came as a result of his work on the Committee on Human Relations.

Forest Fires

Recently, the government has been concerned over the frequency of forest fires in certain regions of the country. Believing that many of these fires were started by dissatisfied country people, a sub-committee for the prevention of forest fires was established.

Investigation by the committee, for which Zimmerman has been working, revealed that many fires were started by people who wanted a job putting them out. Others started fires to burn away shrub and secure good pasture land, and still others fired their neighbor's land because of personal grudges.

Studies made over a year and a half have provided several temporary remedies. The committee now feels that the solution to the problem lies in the establishment of the European system. In Europe each local community owns its share of the forest, giving every man a vested interest in its preservation.

Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Astronomy and Director of the Harvard Observatory, was reelected president of

the Academy. Leigh Hoadley, professor of Zoology, and Abbott P. Usher '04, professor of Economics, were chosen joint secretaries.

Others elected to offices were Gregory P. Baxter, Theodore William Richards Professor of Chemistry, Percy W. Bridgman '04, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy, J. Seelye Bixler, Bussey Professor of Theology, Samuel B. Cross, professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures, Sidney B. Fay '06, Professor of History, and Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Professor of Government.

Serge Elisseeff, professor of Far Eastern Languages, Frederick V. Hunt, assistant professor of Physics, William W. Jaeger, University professor, Archibald MacLeish, former curator of the Nieman Collection and librarian for Congress, and Igor Strawinsky, Charles Eliot Norton Professor of Poetry, were made follows of the Academy