Burgy Ayres Blanks Pennsylvania to Win 2 to 0; Quakers Take Second 9 to 6; Tigers Cop 6 to 5

Lovett Out After Run-In With Stahl; Buckley Bats .400 for Three Games

By David B. Stearns

2 to 0 shutout win over the Pennsylvania nine by sophomore pitcher, Burgy Ayres, was the only bright spot in the otherwise disappointing weekend for the Crimson batsmen as they dropped two other contests, the second game of the Saturday afternoon, Quaker double-header, 9 to 6, and a 6 to 5 loss to Princeton on Friday afternoon.

Making his pitching debut against League competition, the giant right-hander showed a world of control, allowing only four hits and not issuing a single base on balls, while fanning four batters.

Schwede Starts Second

After Ayres had breezed through this first game behind the excellent support of the team, Jack Schwede went in to pitch the second contest. When seven runs were scored by the Quakers on three walks, a single, two doubles and a home run after two and two-thirds innings, he was yanked in favor of Lou Clay. The sophomore finished out the seven-inning game allotting five hits and five walks for two enemy runs.

A double steal for the winning tally gave the Tigers their 6-5 win the day before as Captain Tom Healey pitched one-hit ball for six innings only to lose out when the Orange and Black counted twice in each of the last three innings. A walk, an error, and a scratch hit filled the sacks in the last frame and set the stage for the double steal on which Warner Allen came home with the winning run.

The services of Junior right-fielder Gene Lovett, will probably be lost to the team for the rest of the year. Lounging into second base in the first inning of the second game, Lovett was tagged out when he easily could have made it safely by going into the dirt for a slide. Coach Floyd Stahl immediately yanked him in favor of Lee Harstone. Lovett, in a huff, was sent tote showers and told to hand in his uniform.

Ed Buckley, loquacious second-sacker, sparked the Crimson nine with his hitting and base running. He bit an even .400 with four hits in ten trips and accounted for an unearned tally in the second game on Saturday when the shortened the trip from second base to home plate by scampering across the pitcher's mound.

Umpires Tyler and Mead were both preoccupied, one watching a close play at first as Tully reached on an error, the other closely scrutinizing home plate as Pitchford came in to score. Neither of them saw Buckley leave second base and head almost on a direct line for the plate. In fact most of the spectators and even Coach Stahl were not aware of the play until the Penn coach and players stormed onto the field. Despite their objections the run counted but it was not enough to make up the seven run deficit insscurred in the first two innings.