Debts Force Freshman Paper to Change From Weekly to Monthly

LOAN IS REQUESTED

The last issue in the stunted life of the Yardling as a weekly newspaper was printed two weeks ago, it was announced yesterday by Adam Yarmolinsky '43, Chairman of the Board of Editors. It will be completely transformed into a monthly for the two remaining issues this year.

Having contracted a debt of approximately $50 since its birth after midyear exams, the Yardling has been forced to suspend publication because of "financial pressure".

First definite signs of the long-rumored fold-up came when the paper failed to appear at its regular time a week ago yesterday. Most recent, however, was the rejection by the board of an advertisement from the Dramatic Club early this week.

Refusing to go completely out of business, Yarmolinsky stated that all the paper needs to finish out the year is a good financial boost. He has already appealed for a loan from the Student Council and Phillips Brooks House.

"If we can put two more issues out this year," said Yarmolinsky, "we will be able to start next year with a clean slate. Of course, there will be drastic changes in the size, price, and makeup, but the board of editors will remain the same."

He said that the present members of the board will run two monthly issues next fall with the help of Freshman candidates from the class of 1944, after which this year's board will retire.

All members of the original group of the paper were required to pay a small stipend to give the enterprise some working capital. If necessary to continue, Yarmolinsky said that a similar charge will be made again soon.