Juniors, Seniors Given Increased Certainty of Admission to Houses, Latest Statistics Reveal

Only 52 Excluded Compared With 144 Three Years Age; Enforcement of New Policy Is Cause

The reduction of the number of unsuccessful Junior and Senior House applicants to 52 marks the culmination of a trend towards assuring upperclassmen entrance to Houses.

Since 1937, when active campaigning on the part of the Student Council and the CRIMSON for a better organized system of handling those rejected in the Freshman assignment began, this number has steadily decreased until this year only ten Seniors were refused.

Instrumental in handling this problem has been the non-resident House membership which last year included seventy-nine, all of whom are now in Houses.

With the number of upper class applicants remaining at approximately 200, the number successful for the four years from 1937 have been 144, 97, 77, and 52 respectively. In addition to this the waiting list for the past winter fell to the unusually low number of 81.

300 Freshmen Left Out

While 308 Yardlings were left out in this year's allotment, this is far from the first headache over admission to the Houses, the problem last year inciting a petition of 200 and action by the Council. Nor is this number by any means final in view of the fact that 120 were admitted between April and the fall last year.

The actual percentage of the members of each class in the House works out to roughly 70 percent of each class. Approximately 200 in each class regularly remain out of Houses for their full college career.

Of this 200, about half live at home. Fraternities and rat-Houses claim in the vicinity of from 60 to 65 each year, while approximately 30 inhabit the college dormitories and 25 to 30 are found at miscellaneous addresses.

Last year the totals of men of each class in Houses ran; Seniors 533 out of 753, Juniors 594 out of 807, and Sophomores 613 out of 933. These figures indicate that the annual turnover is quite considerable and that the openings for upperclass applicants are increasingly sure to be filled.

In view of these facts, the Dean's office has advised Freshmen to be wary of signing irrevocable boarding house contracts which will force them to refuse belated acceptance into Houses. Contracts with the University in the college dormitories on the other hand are fairly easy to settle following House acceptance.