Conant Made Honorary Chairman Of Committee for Aiding Allies

Ten Professor and 40 Alumni Comprise Interventionist Unit

Ten Harvard professors and 40 prominent alumni are included in the nucleus of a Massachusetts branch of the Committee to defend America by Aiding the Allies, according to Mayo A. Shattuck '18, Boston lawyer. President Conant has been named honorary chairman of the group.

Following the lead of William Allen White, Kansas editor of the "Emporia Gazette," who is national chairman of the committee, the Bay State organization seeks the signatures of one-fourth of the state's population on a giant petition to be sent to President Roosevelt. The new group also will supervise the formation of sub-committees throughout New England.

The principal aims of the committee are to speed up our manufacture of airplanes for shipment to the Allies; to ask Washington authorities to give military secrets to the Allies; to enable volunteers in this country to enter the war by the removal of legal restrictions; and to make credit available to the Allies by repeal of the Johnson Act.

10 Professors

The Harvard professors who are among the leaders of the group are:

Zechariah Chafee, Jr., Langdell Professor of Law; Samuel H. Cross '12, professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures; J. Anton de Haas, William Ziegler Professor of International Relationships; William Y. Elliott, professor of Government; Sidney B. Fay '96, professor of History;

Carl J. Friedrich, professor of History; George K. Gardner '11, professor of Law; Jerome D Greene '96 Secretary to the Corporation, Bruce C. Hopper '24, associate professor of Government; and Bliss Perry, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of English Literature, Emeritus.

40 Graduates Included

The Harvard graduates in the new committee include: Edwin C. Bennett '18, W. De Ford Bigelow '00, George H. Blakeslee '02, Charles C. Cabot '22, Henry B. Cabot, Jr. '17, Philip Cabot '94, Waltr B. Cannon '96, A. Barr Comstock '07, Lawrence Coolidge '27, William A. Coolidge '24, Courtenay Croocker '01, Charles K. Cummings '93, Lawrence B. Cummings '02, Robert H. Davison '17;

Malcolm Donald '99, Frederick M. Eliot '10, Samuel A. Eliot '84, Erland F. Fish 05, Allan Forbes '97, F. Murray Forbes, Jr. '24, Channing Fronthingham '02, J. Pennington Gardiner '29, Courad Hobbs '99, Llewellyn Howland '97, Jerome A. Johnson '18, Carl T. Keller '93, George C. Lee, Jr. '21, Raiph Lowell '12;

Abraham Pluauski '07, Arthur L. Richmond '17, Ellery Sedgwick '94, R. Minturn Sedgwick '21, Maye A. Shattuck '18, Arthur C. Smith '18, Oliver M. W. Sprague '94, Raymond S. Wilkins '12, Frederick Winser '93, Joseph Wiggin '93, Reger Wolcott '99, and George 1 Wream, II'20.