MED SCHOLARSHIPS OFFERED TO THREE

Selection of the three outstanding candidates for admission to the Harvard Medical School next fall as recipients of National Scholarships offered by the School under the University's "longterm" scholarship policy was announced today.

The winners are James S. Clarke, of La Grange, Ill., A.B. Harvard '40 (Daniel Fiske Jones National Scholarship); Martin E. Flipse, of Douglaston, L.I., N.Y., A.B. Hope College '40, (Edward S. Harkness National Scholarship); and Winser C. Schmidt, of Rye, N.Y., of the Schefield Scientific School, Yale (Harvard Medical School National Scholarship).

This is the fourth year of the Medical School's National Scholarship plan, which is similar to that introduced by President James B. Conant in Harvard College in 1934, and subsequently adopted also by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, the Graduate School of Design, and the Graduate School of Business Administration.

In addition, Medical School scholarships totaling $1,300, for study next academic year, were awarded as follows: Matthew and Mary E. Bartlett scholarship to James P. Dixon, Jr., of Yellow Springs, Ohio; S.B. Antioch '39. Abraham A. Watson scholarship to Lytt I. Gardner, of Reidsville, N.C.; A.M. University of North Carolina '40. Isaac Sweetzer scholarship to Frank E. Trobaugh, Jr., of West Frankfort, Ill.; A.B. University of Illinois '40.