RALPH BARTON PERRY URGES SUPPORT OF BRITAIN, STRONG ARMAMENTS FOR U. S.

Letter to New York Times Says Country Must Strengthen For Fight

In a letter to the New York Times which appeared yesterday, Ralph Barton Perry, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy, urged strong support of Great Britain and a strong armaments program in order to combat the threat from Nazi Germany.

"For the first time in our history our independence and safety, and our right to live our own lives in our own way, are in serious jeopardy," the flery philosophy professor declared.

Vehemently denouncing the Nazi system of government and aggressive warfare, Perry said that "the institutions and purposes of the totalitarian powers are in precise opposition of ours . . . are there any business men who think they would prefer the totalitarian deal to the American deal, whether of the Democratic or Republican model?"

Perry in his letter said that Hitler is threatening the United States and that he will turn on us as soon s he can conquer Europe. "Against America Hitler has made the most terrible of all threats namely, to save and protect us."

"The whole foreign policy of Germany is governed by a motive of limitless expansion--by propaganda, by a control of world trade, and by armed force. There is a purpose of aggression, a power of aggression, and an evidence of deeds that speak more eloquently than words.

"Isolationism is nonsense. South, Central, and North America is vulnerable, not only to systematic pro-German propaganda and to economic penetration, but to direct armed attack. We ourselves sent 2,000,000 troops to Europe, in 1917-18. We have been twice invaded from Europe, when the Atlantic Ocean was much wider than it is now. It all depends on who commands the seas, and in the event of the destruction of the British fleet we lose that command, perhaps forever.

"Our present defenses are inadequate and, what is worse, the enemy knows it. Why should he give us time to prepare? His technique is to lull his victims into a false security and then to strike swiftly and remorselessly.

"There remains the grim fact that in order to perfect our democracy we must be allowed to do so free from external pressure and from internal dissension. So I say, let us make ready to defend the America that is, and the chance to make the America that is to be. How shall we defend America?"

Professor Perry offers three policies that should be followed by the American people. The first is by supporting Britain with supplies and munitions. Secondly, by developing our own armaments; and thirdly, by national unity of feeling and effort.

"Whether we like the British or not, and whatever our relations in the past, they are now fighting our enemy. . . . They are giving us the chance of defending ourselves at a distance, and of keeping the war out of America.

"Let me end as I began, with the note of urgency. Our delays, our interminable debates, our lack of realism and fore sight, our factional differences and suspicions, our subordination of the national safety to timid political calculations, are being watched with contemptuous amusement by our enemies. This is precisely what they have predicted of what they call plutocratic democracy, or decadent liberalism," Perry concluded.