UNION COMMITTEE AND RED BOOK CHOICES DUE SOON

Political Forum Also on Deck as New Activity

Freshmen activities due to get under way in the near future include appointment of a Union Committee and the Red Book chairman, intiation of the interdormitory athletic program, and possibly the formation of a new "political forum" with interest concentrated on the current presidential campaign.

The forum is in a purely tentative stage at present, according to a report last night by Caspar Weinberger 3L, Secretary of the Union replacing Kendrick N. Marshall '21. If enough interest in the idea is indicated by the Freshman activities cards now being tabulated by the Social Service Committee of Phillips Brooks House, plans will go ahead rapidly, Weinberger said.

Consisting of a series of open meetings, the forum would have as its guests speakers from both political parties, and each talk would be followed by a question period.

Choose Red Book Chairman

Choice of a Red Book chairman by Weinberger and Eugene D. Keith '42, Student council Representative for Freshman Affairs, will take place within the next two weeks. A list of men having previous journalistic experience will be drawn up, and a call issued for others interested in Red Book work. The selection will be made after a general meeting of all the candidates.

The usual policy of selection has been to choose only the chairman of the Yardling yearbook, but last year the other executive officers were also appointed at the start. This year will see a return to the old system, which is believed to be more efficient and better designed for obtaining the right men for the executive posts.

The chairman as soon a she is elected will choose his own business manager, with the advice of Weinberger and Keith, and other positions will be filled by competition. The Red Book's Register is scheduled to appear before Christmas, which means that business tryouts will probably be in full swing by mid-October. Editorial and photographic competitions will be called out later.

Selection of the Union Committee is scheduled for early next month. Since a vote of the class of '43 last year resulted in an amendment to the Student Council Constitution abolishing election of class officers, this year's Union Committee will be the only official representatives of Freshmen until election of the Smoker and Jubilee committees next spring.

The committee is chosen with the aim of getting a group which will as far as possible represent all elements in the Freshman class, from the point of view of geographical distribution, high school and private school divisions, and location in the Yardling dormitories.

Organization of interdormitory athletics will start with appointment of managers for each Freshman Hall. The program, under the direction of these managers, a Sophomore manager to be announced soon, and Adolph W. Samborski '26, Director of Intramural athletics, will include a series of touch football games this fall and other sports encounters later on in the year.