DEFENSE COURSE DRAWS HALF BUSINESS SCHOOL

STUDENTS STUDY WAR INDUSTRIES

Over half of the incoming Business School students have enrolled in a streamlined twelve-month course centered around $250,000 worth of research done since Europe took up arms and designed to fit graduates as industrial administrators in the defense program.

Four men have been added to the Faculty to instruct the 301 students in the defense course, and greater duties have been imposed upon all professors already on the staff. Starting this fall, the first class will study throughout the school year and during the summer months, finishing September 15.

Many Are Deferred

Although some of the prospective industrial administrators have been drafted, most boards have deferred them as potentially indispensable on the home front.

Over one-third of the curriculum will treat production in defense plants, confronting the students with the problems of management policy, satisfaction of the customer, and labor relations. With minor modifications the instruction in these fields is similar to that given two-year men during their first year at the Business School.

With the country demanding maximum production rather than maximum profit as the dominant motive in industrial life, the course in accounting has been altered radically, with emphasis shifted from balance sheets of profits and loss to statements on product costing and information on production.

Study Munitions Industries

The new course will give much attention to the vast expansion of the munitions industries and the problem raised thereby. Mobilizing and relocating of industry, control of price and supply, and curtailment of civilian consumption will be highlighted as strategic problems facing private as well as government management.

By vote of the Business School Faculty the Degree of Industrial Administrator will be offered only for the duration of the national emergency to meet the demand of defense factories for men with management training.