'45 J. V. Ties Winthrop, 0-0, Kirkland Tops Dorms 13-0

Eliot And Leverett Will Play Today

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

A favored Kirkland team crushed the Yardling Dormitory outfit, 13 to 0 yesterday on Soldiers Field, while Winthrop battled the second Freshmen to a 0-0 tie.

Big Mack Broderick rounded end for the first Kirkland score in the middle of the second period, and George Blanchard hammered through center for the conversion. Just a few minutes later, the Dormers fumbled on their own 35, and John Eberlo recovered. He then proceeded to crack the Dorm tackle for the second Deacon touchdown. The try for point failed. Although the injured Kirkland star, Al Matthis, was exberting them from the sidelines, the Dorm players nearly scored on the Deacons in the second half, when they roused themselves from their listless state and fought their way to the 20-yard stripe. Hero they were bogged down, and Kirkland maintained their un-scored on record.

The Winthrop-Freshman game was an inconclusive affair that see-sawed back and forth around midfield, and proved nothing. At times the Yardlings would show flashes of brilliance, but they were repulsed by the Puritans, while Winthrop never could get started, although solid Stan Durwood powered his way through the '45 line, and Bill Eustis tossed several neat passes. Even though Durwood put his head down and charged, the Yardling forward wall would not crack open, and yielded but a few yards each try. Durwood kicks and plows through the line on the offense, but moves up into the tackle spot on the defense, moving Walt Kennedy to the backer-up position.

The Freshmen might have won if the game had been several minutes longer, for at the end of the battle they had advanced, by means of passes and off-tackle shots, from their own territory down to the Puritan twenty.

Today Eliot takes on a Leverett aggregation that has ben defeated once by Kirkland. Eliot was walloped by Dudley last week, 13-0.

It looks from here like a close game, with Eliot getting a slight nod. The Funsters are rated only a fighting chance against Lowell, in their game today, as a result of their trimming of Adams last week, but Lowell's victory over the Puritans rates them as the favorites.

The Leverett-Dudley touch game yesterday was forfeited by the Bunnies, because of a lack of players, but Dunster beat Adams 4 to 3 in their game. In their soccer game Eliot and the second Freshmen were tied at 2 all.